The chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee said the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan was Britain’s greatest foreign policy disaster since the Suez Canal crisis in 1956.
Conservative MP Tom Tugendhat criticized the Foreign Minister for failing to speak up when the Taliban roamed the country last week.
He has toured almost every major city and reached the gate of the capital, Kabul.
Tugendhat said Britain has “abandoned the Afghan people”.
The BBC learned that Downing Street sources said Parliament would meet on Wednesday after the Prime Minister is expected to convene MPs to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.
Lisa Nandy, the Labor Party’s shadow foreign minister, said the United States and the United Kingdom had “seriously misjudged” catastrophic misjudgments, “several days have passed,” and overestimated the strength of the Afghan government.
“It is amazing that the UK government has been so slow to react to all of this. What we need to hear now is the real strategy of the government,”he said.
- Follow real-time Afghanistan updates
- The Taliban control all major cities in Afghanistan except Kabul
- Britain is suspending scholarships for Afghan students
Mr Tugendhat compared the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan to the failure of the British invasion of Egypt in 1956 with the aim of regaining control of the Suez Canal. Many historians believe that this marked the end of Britain’s role as a great power in the world.
“We haven’t heard from the Foreign Minister for about a week, although this is the biggest foreign policy disaster since the Suez Canal. So I don’t know what the Foreign Office thinks,” he said.
He said the withdrawal of Afghan troops showed a lack of “strategic patience”, deprived the Afghan army of logistics and air support, and “convinced them there is no tomorrow”.
He suggested that this encouraged the Taliban militants and allowed them to sweep through many large cities.
Kabul is now the last government-controlled city, and the Taliban said that during negotiations on a peaceful transfer of power, militants were ordered to remain at the point of entry into the city.
The Foreign Office advised more than 4,000 British nationals to be in Afghanistan and announced on Thursday that it would be sending 600 soldiers to assist British, Afghan staff, and translators.
Mr. Tugendhat said NATO’s refusal to withdraw all Afghans serving in the British Army was “shameful”.
Interpreters and guards, Afghans trained in special forces, people who build girls’ schools and help NGOs are “now in danger,” he said.
He said: “The danger is that all parliamentarians will be murdered and ministers handcuffed to street lamps. I fear that this is a decision that has already been made.”
The Home Office said 3,300 Afghan workers working in the UK have been relocated with their families.
A spokesman said: “Home Office officials are currently working to protect UK citizens and assist former UK employees and other eligible individuals traveling to the UK.”
However, 35 Afghans who will receive a scholarship at UK universities in a few weeks’ time have been told that their places have been suspended because their visas could not be obtained on time.
Naimatula Zafari, who lives in Kabul, told that: “My daughter asked me yesterday, will the Taliban come? Will they kill her? I said no, they didn’t kill her. She is six and a half years old. “Old man, can you imagine that?”
Tobias Elwood, chairman of the House of Commons Defense Committee, said Britain should have the courage to “stand up and say this is the wrong decision” and lead a coalition or try to lead a coalition “to address the crisis to solve.
“This is an embarrassing strategic mistake for the West and we will regret it,” he told..
“We have very complicated and unpredictable months and years unless we realize that pulling out is a big mistake.”